Sunday 15 March 2015

Chris Eubank Jr "on warpath" for Billy Joe Saunders rematch

Chris Eubank Jr may have lost his undefeated record last year but the Brighton man believes he has learned his lessons ahead of his February 28 battle with Dmitry Chudinov at the O2 Arena, London.

The middleweight star was edged out on the scorecards in November by Billy Joe Saunders despite tearing into his rival during the final three rounds.

“Losing is a part of the sport and I’m over it,” said Eubank Jr. “That fight was a big learning experience for me. I should have pressed earlier and started how I finished. I’m not saying it was a mistake because during the fight it felt like it was neck and neck but I’ve learned lessons which I plan to build on, on February 28.

The 25-year-old's father Chris Eubank Sr, who created controversy by replacing Ronnie Davies as his son’s lead cornerman, added: “He started late against Saunders and that’s how the judges saw it. That’s boxing. I do believe that everything I’ve said about Chris is still on track. Simply put, we follow strategy or learn the hard way. His ability is there for all to see.”

The bad blood between Saunders and his domestic foe still simmers while Eubank Jr confessed he is already calling for a rematch.
 “It’s definitely something we’re looking forward to,” he admitted. “Will he take a rematch though? I don’t think so. He walked away from our first fight with a lot of question marks whereas I walked away thinking, yeah, I can do this. It was the hardest night of his career.

“I respect every man who steps through the ropes but Billy’s not a respectful character because of the things he says and the things he does. He hasn’t apologised for that and I’d love the rematch; there’s nothing I want more. I’ve got a lot of pride and that loss is something I want to put right.”

First of all he’ll have to overcome WBA interim champion Chudinov, a come-forward yet untested Russian with a record of 14-0-2.

“I’m on the warpath now and there’s no messing about. I’m ready to jump into it with the top fighters and show what I can do. For Saunders I didn’t have the correct sparring but now, if I need to bring fighters over or travel, we’ll have to do that.

“This time for Chudinov I’m going to do everything perfectly. This guy isn’t Saunders; he’s not a slick southpaw who I’ll have to figure out. I know what he’s going to do. He’ll come to fight but he won’t last long and I’ll have too much for him on the night.”

By Alistair Hendrie (The Mirror) http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/boxing/chris-eubank-jnr-on-warpath-4984616

No comments:

Post a Comment